Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sirtuin Investor to Expand Coverage

With the acquisition of Sirtis Pharmacueticals by Glaxo, the universe of publicly traded companies strictly focused on sirtuin research has declined by 100% to zero. When I began this blog back in December 2007 , I did so with the intent of following the long term story of sirtuins, primarily from an investment standpoint. I believed that as the sirtuin story played out, the ride would be an exciting and rewarding one for those who hopped on. Well, the ride was certainly rewarding....it just happened to come to an unexpected detour, well before anticipated, with the acquisition of Sirtris by Glaxo.

With all endings come new beginnings. While the sirtuin story is still extremely fascinating, the only pure play investment opportunity in this area has disappeared and the initial focus of the Sirtuin Investor blog no longer makes much sense. However, immortality IS STILL EXPENSIVE and it seems to be getting more expensive each day. Since reveratrol believers still expect to extend their lives, they need to find ways to finance it. I will attempt to find investments that will replace SIRT in my portfolio and share them on this blog. I will not attempt to flood this page with dozens of ideas but focus on a few stocks that have various risk/reward profiles. I keep most of my assets in municipals giving me the luxury of placing a few large high risk/high reward bets. In every case these are just my own personal ideas and readers need to do their own due diligence.

My first stock of focus will be Verenium Corporation, a company focused on cellulosic ethanol. At this time I provide only a link to their home page for those who wish to do their own research. I will follow-up shortly with a blog entry that will share my own views on the merits of this investment.

No comments: